| John Stuart Pryce
A.F.C.A. O.S.A. I.P.A.P.
John's love for art began at a very early age, as he discovered the great satisfaction derived from his ability to draw and paint. He continued developing his artistic interests, and eventually became an art major at the highly acclaimed H.B. Beal Tech. in London, Ontario. Since that time John has worked and studied in Montreal, Chicago and Toronto.
During a successful career as an architectural illustrator, his work was used in projects around the world. His seemingly loose yet eloquent technique is the result of years of experience in the disciplines of drawing, colour and composition.
John currently divides his time between painting and sharing his artistic knowledge with others through his painting workshops.
"The purest and most rewarding form of painting, in my opinion, is "en plein air" as it challenges all of the skills and discipline of the artist."
"A painting should have substance, make a statement or give rise
to thought and conversation.
I appreciate all forms of art whether decorative, non-objective or
representational, but I prefer using my artistic skills to bring an
awareness of the beauty that surrounds us and the environment that we
take for granted.
Each painting has a unique story and message and I strive to share that
experience as eloquently and creatively as possible."
"My goal is to share with others what my eyes see, my heart feels and my soul
yearns to understand.”
John Stuart Pryce
Awards, Publications, Commissions and Exhibits
- Art major at Beal Tech in London Ontario and studied at Ontario College of Art in Toronto
- Worked as graphic designer and illustrator in Toronto, Montreal and Chicago
- 35 years as free-lance architectural illustrator working with some of the world’s leading architectural firms on projects in Canada, United States, Germany, China, Thailand, Ukraine and the Middle East.
Teaching & Instruction
- First Grand International Award for NESA Chicago, Illinois 1961
- The "Best of the 80's" Award for artwork done on the World Financial Center, New York. N.Y.
- Numerous corporate commissions including "The Orient Express" Zurich, Switzerland
- Osgoode Hall for Weir and Foulds Solicitors, Toronto
- Exhibited artwork in the "Art of Architecture" show at the Arts and Letters Club, Toronto.1992
- Artwork published in "The Art of Architectural Illustration" 1994
- Artwork published in "Architecture in Pen and Ink" 1995
- Artwork exhibited at the London Regional Art and Historic Museum for "Bealart: 80 years of Experiment" 1998
- Article published in The Artist Magazine (England) 2008
- Article published in Magazin Art 2011
- Memeber of Arctic Quest 2006 Expedition - Participant in group shows at: Win Henstock Gallery, Oakville Ontario, The Linkway Gallery, Toronto, Gallery on the Grand, Waterloo, Arts & Letters Club, Toronto, Magic Door Gallery, Sunderland, Ontario.
- Taught painting and Drawing at Centennial College for GAS program and Architectural Presentation at Warden Woods and Progress Campus, Toronto. 1980 - 1982
- Conducted Watercolour Workshops and Presentation Techniques at McMichael Gallery - Kleinberg, Ontario, for Neonex International
- Conducted numerous workshops in watercolour and oils at Newmarket School of Fine Art as well as art groups in Guelph, Aurora and Richmond Hill, Ontario
- Conducted private watercolour and oil painting workshops on Toronto Islands
- Organized Historic Tour and watercolour workshops at the St. Lawrence Market area, Toronto
- Organized sketching tour for participants of ASAP (American Society of Architectural Perspectivists) convention - Toronto, 1992
- Conducted slide show and workshop for students and staff at Manatee Community College - Bradenton, Florida 1994
- Co-produced six watercolor demonstration videos with Martin Pryce for Rogers Community television - 1995
- Assisted Raymond Pryce (RSAD Grad) in illustration demo for RSAD Interior Design students - 1996
- Co-founder of Plein-Air Canada
- Conducted watercolor workshops at Pryce Studios, in The Historic Distillery District - Toronto 2003/2004
- Regional editor for “Fine Art Connoisseur” - West Palm Beach, Florida
- Organized Paint-out for Plein-Air Canada in Oakville - August 2007
- Numerous demos and workshops for local art groups throughout 2008
- Plein-Air workshop on Quadra Island British Columbia - September 2008
- Numerous demos, workshops and jurying for local art groups (ongoing)
- Conducts local weekly art classes in oil and acrylic painting (ongoing)
- Summer art teaching for Loyalist College - Belleveville, Ontario - June 2009, 2010,,2011
- Plein-Air teaching for Loyalist College - Bridgewater Ontario - August 2009
- Conducted plein-air workshop Gibsons B.C. - July 2010
- Participant in Door County invitational paint-out - Door County Wisconsin - July 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Conducted plein-air workshops Haliburton School of the arts - August 2010, 2011, 2012
- Conducted plein-air workshops for Loyalist College - Amherst Island - Aug 2011
- Conducted plein-air workshop - Algoma Ontario - September 2010, 2011